Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Swapping Catalyst for Creating








One of the wonderful things about the internet is the ability to communicate with people around the world, who share your interests. No longer is the lack of local interest a limitation on growth and experience. For me, a once wild urban child in the country, the net has long been a lifeline. Early on, back in the late 80s, I began to exchange work with those of similar minds. And now in the 21st century it is my routine to kick start my creative endeavors by participating in swaps. 

I've been hard at work on a piece for the 2012 International Freeform Association's show & book and the rules say that I can't share any of the work in progress. This makes me sad as the fascinating part for me about freeform is how the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It's sometimes hard to even find the part again once the whole has been formed. But I've got other freeform images to share. 

I just participated in a scrumble swap hosted in the fabulous Prudence Mapstone's group on Ravelry. My only regret is that I did not have sunshine any day long enough to get great pix and I didn't have the energy to do much staging. But I'm pleased at their difference -- due to the specifications and personalities of the recipients. And the exchange recharged my batteries for working on what seems to be on its way to becoming my largest freeform work yet.

No comments: