Friday, March 25, 2011

Crochet Hook List

I am preparing to teach crochet. I signed up for the Craft Yarn Council of America's
Correspondence Course, completed my reading, writing and sample making and now await thefeedback and results. In order to get my certificates, I must teach. toward that end, I've contacted the library, and BOCES; I've preapred crochet kits for my prospective students and I'm now working on teaching materials.

One of the best lessons I ever had was from a saxophone playing friend as he made some minor repairs to my horn and instructed me. Too often students get the worst tools, so their struggle is often with the poor tool, as well as learning the instrument, he said. This has remained with me and the lesson was immediate. He gave me a better mouthpiece, fixed a key and showed me how to soak my reeds and Lush Life poured out of my horn. With a good tool, you get to focus on you.

A corollary I've learned as a crafter is that there are tools that offer solutions, or whose smart design makes accomplishing challenging things a breeze like bullion hooks.
Why buy hooks with fixed cables when there are hooks with hinged/moving cables. So here's my hook list, so my students are informed early on about the possibilities.


Crochet Hooks

Materials


Metal
Aluminum
Steel
Plastic/Polymer
Wood
Bamboo
Combined (generally metal heads with plastic, wood or bamboo bodies)

Head Styles

Susan Bates
Boye
In between

Manufacture

Mass/Commercial
Addi Turbo (plastic body metal head)
Susan Bates
Boye
Clover (polymer body, metal head)
Tulip/Etimo (polymer body, metal heat)
Lion Brand
Skacel (ergonomic hook. polymer body, metal head)
Denise ( interchangeable)

Handmade
Chiaogoo
Jenkins
Brittany (wood)
Lantern Moon (rosewood, ebony)
Turn of the Century
Twin Birch

Types

Crochet
Bullion Hooks
Afghan/Tunisian
Croknit/ Cro-hook ( double ended)
Cabled fixed, hinged
Circular
Lighted
Interchangeable

Lengths
Commercial 5- 6”
Handmade generally 7+ inches

No comments: